Below, please find a Report on projects and initiatives supported by the OT L&LS as a way to serve and enhance the profession of occupational therapy. This content is updated as of April 2019. Page Table of Contents:
- Revised member application process.
- Drafted Bio template and Volunteer Interest Checklist.
- Created Acceptance Letter and Certificate for New Members.
- Discussed possible recruitment efforts.
- Sought Board approval for Society acronym.
Recruitment of OTA Leaders
- Reviewed previous recruitment efforts, recommendations by the membership committee, and membership numbers.
- OTL&LS recruitment flyer was updated.
- Brainstorming use of social media platforms (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn).
- Discussed reaching out to OTA program directors, informing them of Society activities for recommendations of alumni OTA leaders.
- State association presidents: a letter has been sent seeking recommendations of OTA leaders that are leading in their community and state, however, may not have been recognized.
- Identified AOTA Conference sessions that address leadership and are specific to OTAs.
- Discussed reaching out to VLDC leaders for identification of OTA leaders.
- OTL&LS buttons were created to promote and increase visibility of the Society.
- Collaborated and coordinated efforts with the membership committee.
History Preservation Project
- OTArchive participants and OTL&LS members were contacted and invited to participate in the OTL&LS History Preservation Project.
- Resources (e.g., release forms, suggested prompts, student project guidelines) for collecting oral histories were shared.
- General thank you acknowledgement sent to those who responded affirmatively with a note that contribution details will follow.
- Obtained assistance from Chris Davis and Barb Dickson of the AOTA that the AOTA centennial celebration website will be maintained for the foreseeable future.
- Authored a plan for updating the OTL&LS website to include sidebars with links to identified resources that are available and related to OT's history.
- Identified several historical resources, including:
- MOTA's association and Historical committee.
- Archived documents (i.e., Gary Kielhofner's) and collected materials (i.e., San Jose State, Temple University).
- Transcribed oral histories and videos.
- TWU identified as a potential repository for physical items and other historical resources.
- Canadian OT Association's website as an exemplar.
Alpha Omega Tau (AΩT): OTA Honor Society
- Created the OT Leaders and Legacies' Foundation to oversee the Honor society.
- Established a National Coordinator (Kathryn Eberhardt, MA Ed., COTA/L, ROH).
- Established a Mission and Pledge for the society.
- Approved documents include the Philosophy of Scholarship; Chapter Structure, Petition for Chapter Establishment, Chapter Candidates, Suggested Chapter Resources; Membership Eligibility, Applicant Assessment Criteria, Membership Procedure, Membership Review and Board Materials, Membership Application, and Member Types.
- May 2019 will launch a pilot program of 8 Universities for honor society chapters.
AOTA NOLA 2019 Annual Meeting Materials
The OTL&LS hosted an annual meeting at the 2019 AOTA Conference, overviewing the accomplishments of various projects and initiatives supported by the Society, explaining future plans and goals for Society initiatives, and offering a "question and answer" session for viewing members. Please click below to access meeting materials as a way to stay up to date and explore options to get engaged with Society projects and initiatives.